Venezuela’s Foreign Minister Halts Dialogue with U.S. State Department
Article from the Embassy of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela in the U.S.
March 20, 2013
Venezuelan Foreign Minister Elías Jaua announced Wednesday afternoon that for the moment, the channel of communication that had been opened up in the hope of improving relations with the U.S. is suspended after the statements by U.S. State Department Assistant Secretary Roberta Jacobson regarding Venezuela’s electoral system.
“I hope there is a rectification and that the U.S. interference stops,” he said.
The diplomat who had been tapped to maintain the channel of communication with Jacobson was Venezuelan Ambassador to the Organization of American States Roy Chaderton Matos.
“All diplomatic and consular relations are being maintained,” Jaua said, indicating that only the channel of communication that was opened with Jacobson last November would be suspended.
In reference to Jacobson’s suggestion that there should be a new government, Jaua said the only transition Venezuela is experiencing is the transition toward socialism that was initiated by the leader of the Bolivarian Revolution, Hugo Chávez.
“In Venezuela there is no other transition besides the transition to socialism,” he said, speaking at an event to confer the Order of Francisco de Miranda upon two Venezuelan diplomats recently expelled from the U.S.
The diplomats, Víctor Camacaro Mata and Orlando Montañez Olivares, were expelled in retribution after Venezuela ejected two U.S. military attachés.
The foreign minister rejected the statements by U.S. State Department officials and recalled that, in accordance with the constitution, the country convened presidential elections for April 14.
Jaua denounced the White House’s wager for a scenario of instability in the South American country and responded that the government would guarantee peace in Venezuela.